- Parks & Recreation
Parks & Recreation
In the early 1950s, as Monroeville began to grow as a community, the need for recreation and recreational facilities also began to grow. Today the municipality boasts more than 650 acres of parkland and a complete offering of recreational programs.
Just a reminder that the Parks in Monroeville are open and residents are encouraged to use them to promote physical activity while maintaining social distancing.
View a list of our Parks and Facilities in the Facilities Module.
Find us on Facebook.
Look over the events, classes and leisure activities by viewing the Recreation Spring 2023 Program Guide (PDF).
You may look over the latest events, classes and leisure activities in the digital brochure below.
Online registration is secure, which is why users must establish accounts and obtain a user name and password ahead of actual class enrollment.
- First time users, will need to fill out the household information form and bring or fax into the Recreation and Parks office. The information will be entered into the system which will generate the user name and password needed for future online registrations.
- If you have previously enrolled for a program through the department, you already have an account. You can get your account information by calling our office at 412-856-1006.
What you will need to register online:
- Read and agree to the Waiver of Liability stated below
- Your username and password
- Your credit card number and expiration date (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover)
- Your billing name and address as it appears on your credit card statement (billing name must match name on credit card)
Credit vouchers and account credits cannot be used for online registrations. Credit vouchers and account credits can only be used when registering in person at the Monroeville Recreation and Parks office.
- A Monroeville Resident is defined as anyone who lives in the Municipality of Monroeville. A valid Pennsylvania Driver's License must be presented if requested
- Non-residents must pay a surcharge of $10 for each registration
- Residency is based on participant, not on the person paying for the program. (Non-resident individual cannot be registered by a resident family member)
- A non-resident fee will not be charged to Pitcairn residents for any activity held at a Gateway School facility
Information Provided by Participants
Any falsification of information provided, either intentional or unintentional will result in dismissal from program/activity and forfeiture of all fees.
All programs have been assigned a deadline date. All registrations submitted after this time will not be guaranteed admittance into the program, and will be charged a late fee. Registrations after the deadline date must be made at the Recreation and Parks Office.
A $10 late fee will be assessed to all registration received after the assigned deadline date. Late fees apply to all registrations, regardless of residency.
Non Residents Fees
Nonresidents must pay a surcharge of $10 for each registration. A nonresident fee will not be charged to Pitcairn residents for any activity held at a Gateway School facility.
Class Cancellations / Weather Policy
The Monroeville Recreation, Parks and Human Services Department reserves the rights to cancel, postpone, or reschedule any class due to lack of enrollment, inclement weather, or causes beyond our control. In the event of inclement weather please call our information hotline at 412-317-5070 for cancellations or early closing of facilities. If the Gateway School District is closed or will be closing early, all recreation programs held at the Gateway School facilities will be cancelled. Every effort will be made to reschedule sessions missed for unanticipated cancellations or postponements encountered during a program. Rescheduling is not guaranteed.
Request for transfer will be honored if there is space available in the desired program/activity. To request a transfer, contact recreational services @ 412-856-1006.
The decision to hold classes is based on enrollment, refunds for recreation programs will be processed upon request in accordance with the following policy:
- Full refunds/credit will be issued if the MRPD cancels a program
- All refunds must be requested before the first day of class
- Cancellations prior to the deadline date will be given a full refund less a $10 processing fee
- After the deadline date, program voucher will be issued on a case-by-case basis
- No refunds will be given after the first day of class
- Participants assume the risk of changes in personal affairs or health
We may take your picture during recreational programming, at events, or at various park facilities. Photos may be displayed at the department office, on our website (www.monroeville.pa.us) and Facebook page (@monroevillePAParks), on Monroeville Cable Channel (MMTV), in our Quarterly Brochure, or on department flyers and promotional materials. Please inform us if this presents a problem.
Waiver of Liability
The individual (parent or guardian if under age of 18) represents that the registrant(s) is in good health and can participate in activities and with prior knowledge of the physical nature of the activities releases Monroeville Department of Recreation and Parks, Municipality of Monroeville and the Gateway School District from any and all responsibility for injury to the registrant through negligence or otherwise while he/she is participating in the activity. The parent, guardian, or participant assumes all risks inherent in the activity and will hold the Monroeville Recreation Department, Municipality of Monroeville, and the Gateway School District harmless from any and all claims or causes of action that may arise from this activity. The individual and/or representative also hereby gives permission to Monroeville Department of Recreation and Parks to use photographs of the participants for the promotion of Monroeville Recreation and Parks events and programs. The participants agree to hold Monroeville free and harmless from liability of any nature. By clicking on the button below and following the link to the registration page, you acknowledge that you read, understand and accept the terms as outlined above.
I agree and want to proceed to registration.
Monroeville is the place to have your next picnic!
Seven different parks may be reserved for your picnic. All of these parks contain such features as: pavilions, electricity, cooking grills, rest rooms, water fountains, play equipment, baseball fields, and court areas for basketball, volleyball and tennis.
Beer permits are available in conjunction with a picnic permit, but must be obtained by a responsible adult (minimum 21 years of age). A volleyball and set of horseshoes are included with your pavilion rental. Reservations can be made at the Recreation Office, 2700 Monroeville Boulevard, weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm. Reservations can be made one year in advance of the picnic. Full payment of rental fee and refundable security deposit is required at time of reservation. Proof of residency must be shown when the reservation is made.
- Special Activities Permit Application (PDF)
- 2023 Park Rental Permit Application for Pavilion Rental (PDF)
- 2023 Fillable-Park Rental Permit Application for Pavilion Rental (PDF)
- 2023 Tall Trees Amphitheater Rental Application (PDF)
- 2023 Fillable-Tall Trees Amphitheater Rental Application (PDF)
- 2023 Wedding Gazebo Rental Application (PDF)
- 2023 Fillable-Wedding Gazebo Rental Application (PDF)
Listed below are the forms used to register for a variety of Monroeville Recreation and Parks events and activities. You can speed up the registration process by downloading the forms here and completing them before stopping by.